USA and UK confusion over cable sizes

Gallons and litres,¬†centimetres¬†and yards. It’s all Europes fault!

In one of your articles, “If you don’t connect your iPod to your mixing desk with the right cable, you’ll lose half your sound!”, you talk about buying a 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 x 6.3mm Jack Plugs to get both sides of sound on my P.A. system. The thing is, I live in the United States in Austin, Texas and I can’t find this cable anywhere online except on U.K. websites! They do not ship to the U.S. So do you know anywhere or anyway I can buy one of these cables?

Hi Nick

The cable I describe in the article is a standard cable that you can buy in any good electronics shop or music shop and is used worldwide, including the USA.

In the USA they still use the old imperial measuring system (gallons instead of litres and centimetres instead of inches etc).

So Americans call a 6.3mm jackplug a 1/4″ jackplug and a 3.5mm jackplug a 1/8″ jackplug.

The 3.5mm (1/8″) jack is sometimes called a mini-jack but shouldn’t be confused with another types of mini-jacks that some mobile phones use for their headphone outputs which are a little bit smaller at 2.5mm (3/32″).