Music licensing still sparking questions

I have a question that I really hope you have an answer to.

I’ve¬†looked everywhere, but haven’t found an answer to this question.

I make backing tracks for popular christian songs in the church community. These are not my original songs, but they are my original work… I play all of the instruments and record everything on my own.

They are strictly instrumental and I also don’t use any specific melody lines from the original work.

My question is: Is it legal for me to sell those tracks that I make? Or do I need some sort of license to do so?

It seems like you are doing basically the same thing I am doing, but on a much more larger and professional scale.

Do you need a mechanical license of some sort to sell your backing tracks?

Please help – I have spent weeks trying to find the answer to this question.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it a lot.


Hi Matt

Yes, you would need a license to sell your backing tracks because although you have played and recorded all the music yourself, you are using songs written by someone else.

There was a recent question at Yahoo answers that I answered which is very similar and may help: